Saturday, 18 July 2009

Edinburgh Holiday

We're back from our much needed holiday. We spent a week just south of Edinburgh. The weather wasn't great, the cottage could've been better, I didn't feel all that great, but we still managed to have fun and a good time anyway. This is the view outside Alice's bedroom window.

This is the cottage we stayed in.

As you know (from our previous posts) Alice likes to jump. Well she realised that she can jump off things too. We spent the afternoon in Peebles, and spent most of it in this courtyard, which was part of the council buildings. She enjoyed running around and needed to run off some of the sugar in the lemon cake she'd just had.

Alice jumped a lot!!!She spent quite a long time jumping off this curb!!!

There was also this bar to swing from. Maybe she's going to be a gymnast.

As you also know she has a very cute curl at the back of her head. This is how long her hair would be if it was straight!!!

We went to some gardens in Balerno and all Alice was interested in was jumping off the grass!!!!

We also went to this fab place in Dalkeith Country Park. It was a huge wooden play area with a slide about 10 metres high!!!! Alice wasn't interested in that, but she did enjoy this wee toddler tree house thingy. She walked round and round for ages, unfortunately there was nothing to jump from.

Alice sitting in the tree house thingy.

We met up with our niece Alexandra. Alex studied in Edinburgh and has lived there now for five years. She took us to this wee cafe in Portobello which had a soft play area in it. Alex wasn't a 100% sure how to get there, so had to phone her friend to get directions. Whilst on the phone she said she was in the car with her aunt, uncle and cousin. Stuart laughed, because he has acquired a lot of nieces and nephews since marrying me. I think he still finds it strange that he's an uncle and particularly to adults in their 20s. Alice was really looking forward to seeing "cousin Alex" and really enjoyed their time together. Love this picture of them.

Stuart said he was struck at how much they looked liked each other. Maybe it's the matching outfits!! Also (Alex, you'll like this) Stuart was struck at how blue Alex's eyes are!!!!! It was great to meet up, it was far too short and obviously last time we saw each other was under incredibly sad circumstances at my Dad's funeral. So it was lovely to meet up under better circumstances.

All in all, we had a good week. Laura, we now have a new catchphrase in our house. Out is good, but home is best!!!

7 comments:

lisa said...

Glad you had a much needed break, Alice certainly enjoyed it. You are right, they look sooo alike! Its uncanny!

Laura said...

loved the pictures Pauline - looks like you had a good time....yes I love that catchphrase too - it is sooooo true!!! I would not recongise Alex, last time I saw her she was a wee girl. Lovely picture of her and Alice.

Stuart and Pauline said...

Lisa, I'm glad we got away too. Alice did indeed enjoy herself. Lots of jumping and she's happy.

Laura, I was wondering when you last saw Alex etc. I guessed it would probably be when they were very small.

Charlene said...

Hope you're feeling a little better for having a wee break. The last time I saw Alexandra she must have been about Alice's age! and yes the resemblence is there for all to see, but as I remember it she was pretty like Alice when she was young too.

Stuart and Pauline said...

Charlene, I'm sure Alex will thank you for saying that. To scare you all, Claira is 27, Alex 24, Stuart 24 (at the end of Aug) and Stefan 19. Elaine's two are Jade (9) and Ryan (5). Stuart's daughter is Katie-Lee who is 4. None of us knew whether or not to take photos at my Dad's funeral, it seemed inappropriate, but then it is so rare that we are all together in the one place. That was probably the first time since my 21st birthday and then half the family weren't born yet.

Rhoda said...

Pauline I replied to your question about being wee & not caring about chocolate on your face, but it didn't go on for some reason!!! I meant how brilliant it is to be a child and not care about getting into a mess - just enjoying it:-)

So where you near Peebles then?
The Borders is such a nice part of the country - very different to where we were in the Highlands - but we had the same mixed weather.

Alice sure does love her jumping doesn't she?

At Dad's funeral, we never even asked the question if it was appropriate to take photos or not - we just did it!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Rhoda, I know sometimes the posts don't get put up. Very annoying.

We were just south of Edinburgh, near Roslin. Been to Scotland loads though, we went to Ballantrae and Fort William for our honeymoon. Also love going to Loch Lomond. That's just a wee bit further to drive with a bored toddler in the back. Whereabouts did you stay?

I guess we were all just in shock as none of us expected this to happen. I don't think anyone was up to having their picture taken. No-one did, we didn't even take the camera. It wasn't so much at the funeral as a conversation a couple of us had before it. It just didn't feel right at all.