Thursday, 11 December 2008

Snow and Spoons

We've all been ill up here in the frozen north for the past couple of weeks. Stuart, who never gets ill, was in bed for two days and is still not over his cold nearly three weeks later. Alice has had this horrible cough which is going around for about two weeks now. Plus I spent about 4 days in bed feeling pretty rough. All on the mend now and just waiting for the next one to hit, oh, right around Christmas. Anyway, the first day I was really ill, I got up about 9am and it was raining, then it started snowing and about 11.30am the garden looked like this.


So Stuart got Alice all hopped up and ready to go into the garden to play in the snow. There was enough to build a snowman, but as I was indoors (got out of my sick bed to take some photos) and it was just before lunch, Stuart decided against it. I think Alice quite enjoyed walking around in the snow. No point putting gloves on her, as she doesn't keep them on.


We also decided it was about time she started using a spoon for her yoghurt. As we did the baby-led weaning (no purees and straight onto finger foods) she doesn't really eat anything to need a spoon, except yoghurt. We've only recently started giving her a yoghurt every day as she's decided to stop drinking milk. She has milk in her cereal and she gets lots of cheese too. We'd feed her the yoghurt and then give her the spoon and pot at the end. Yesterday I decided to leave a little bit in the bottom and she did really well at getting it out. So each day I'll leave a little bit more in the pot, so she can get used to eating out of it. As you can see though, she is doing really well and there's barely any round her face.




8 comments:

Charlene said...

Well done Alice! She is coming on in leaps & bounds.
We gave our kids knives, forks & spoons at every meal with an empty plate or dish - we still fed them but in no time they knew how to eat with all the proper utensils. We also fed them at the same time as ourselves and they learnt from watching us. Scary really when you realise then copy what you do, even the bad things. (What bad things?)

Rhoda said...

What a fantastic garden you've got - I love it. Do you have a veg plot - or is that too much work? It just looks ideal to have one.

No doubt Alice will soon love eating with spoon, and will probably be very independent and not wanting her parents to help her at all!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Charlene, we do give her a fork when she doesn't eat something and because it's novel she tends to eat more with it. Cunning. Also because we did the baby-led weaning she has always sat with me for every meal, while she feeds herself and I eat.

So now, it's really funny at the dinner table, she wants to join in the conversation. So we'll get "giga" (Iggle Piggle from In the Night Garden), which means she wants to talk about what she watched that day. Or "duch" which is church, because she'll want to talk about what we did at toddlers that day. Baby-led weaning has so many positives, I really don't know why health visitors persist with purees.

Rhoda, aw thanks. It was one of the things that sold us the house, that and the back room. We took everything out of the right hand side and started from scratch. Have moved things around rather a lot and put in the chairs last year. Not much time at the moment for the garden. However, we did clear a wee bit at the back so Alice could plant some bulbs. In a few years Stuart is planning to take out the huge leylandiis and put in a veg plot there and give Alice her own section of it too. It's by far the sunniest part of the garden. We love it too.

Charlene said...

Health visitors over here use the baby led weaning too. However through experience we discovered that not all babies can or will eat "lumpy" food. Lewis would never eat anything lumpy - in fact if he discovered a lump in his purree it made him physically sick. The girls were completely different and had no probs will normal food.
Kids are such a weird bunch!

doonhamer geordie said...

Looks like she's doing well with that spoon... Just don't try chocolate angel delight!!

Stuart and Pauline said...

Don't worry I won't be trying that any time soon. Today she screamed the place down because I gave her the wrong spoon, so she didn't get any yoghurt and I put her to bed!!! Where she screamed because I was giving her the wrong dummy!!!!!!!

Laura said...

I agree with Rhoda - you have a fantastic garden!!

Glad that Alice is coming on with her spoon. It´s funny charlene that you said Lewis couldnt eat anything lumpy...Sara was the same, she would literally be sick!! She was nearly 1 before she could get lumpy things down....the other two were completely different - no problems....like you say, kids are all different - strange wee creatures, really! haha

Have you still got snow Pauline??? Hope you are organised for Christmas - I´m nearly there!! Ok talk again soon

Stuart and Pauline said...

Ah ha, Charlene and Laura, that's the whole point of BLW, you don't feed purees at all and so they don't get used to that texture. So there isn't an issue about moving on to lumpy foods and not liking it. Yes, a lot of children gag initially, but that's the reflex to prevent them choking. It's got nothing to do with the foods being lumpy, they just eat what they're given which is soft food in chip shape (e.g banana, pear, avocado).

I don't know anyone who has done BLW who has had a problem with their children eating. However, know loads of people who have gone down the pureed root and have loads of problems getting them to move on to lumps. BLW cuts out that whole process and gets them eating properly straight away.

Laura, no the snow is all gone now, actually after I took those photos it started to rain and so the snow was gone about an hour later. Shame!!!